Thursday, June 3, 2010

The Bounty

Yesterday was a great day! I had to run 3 miles and was semi forced to do it on the "dreadmill". I really pushed myself though and did a 5K in 36minutes. I was quite pleased. I was dripping wet. I hate that the gym always feels like hot stale air!

I jumped off the treadmill ran to my car and hightailed it across town to pick up the bounty! We got 1/4 an Angus hormone and antibiotic free cow! I am so excited to try the fresh healthy meat and all the different cuts. Yesterday was also the first day of our summer CSA so we got loads of wonderful organic produce including fresh strawberries!!!

Last night for dinner I had a salad made with spinach and spring greens, pea sprouts, corn, black beans, red onion, tomato, edamame, cilantro, and 100 cal pack of cheese, with a squeeze lime juice salad. I also indulged in a 110 everything bagel with a triangle of laughing cow cheese. It was amazing!!!

This morning after my 5 miler I had amazing oats! Oats made with water and 1T of skim. A dollop of fat free cool whip, fresh peach slices, and a sprinkle of brown sugar. This will likely be a summer staple meal. It was so filling and so delicious. Kind of tasted like peach pie or cobbler for breakfast!!!

What do you like to eat for breakfast? Pre-run or Post? What are your thoughts on refueling during a run? Do you use just water, just sports drinks, or a mix? Someone recently told me they only drink sports drinks. 8oz /2 miles. Seemed like a ton to me....thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. Yumm your snacks sound good.

    I usually eat an english muffin before my runs, I've started adding 1/4 cup of microwaved eggbeaters on it

    post run i try to eat something within 15 minutes which is a mix of protein and carbs (low fat) such as skim chocolate milk and/or an energy bar.

    within an hour I'll eat a real breakfast/lunch/dinner like chocolate chip pancakes and sausage :D.

    during a run if it's 3-5 miles I don't refuel. Anything longer than an hour I'll eat some energy chews and take water with me and just sip every 5-10 minutes. 8oz/2miles is the MAX you should be drinking... but it's not required. I usually go through 8oz/3miles by sipping 1-2 sips per 1/2-3/4 mile... nothing precise though I just sip when I think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 8oz/2miles of sports drink sounds ridiculous, especially if you're wanting to lost weight... water is fine until you get up the 16+ mile runs... your body should have plenty of fuel reserve to call on (i.e. stored fat) while your running.

    Also that 1/4 cow sounds awesome! I'm drooling on my keyboard thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete