Friday, May 28, 2010

Amphipod Review


I purchased the Amphipod RunLite 2+. I have had the opportunity to use it the last three days in the 80 + weather. The first day I only ran 3 miles and it was a lot less bouncy than I expected. I also had it on the tightest that day. I would venture to say it was probably too tight because I was getting cramps, granted I was having female issues anyhow, but nevertheless.
The second day I wore it during my 6 mile run and this time I took my phone along. The first day I was afraid that it would just be added weight I wasn't used to. However, it really didn't seem bulky or heavy at all. I really loved that my phone fit in the pouch and it is a double pouch so I also carried my license and a GU (which I didn't use). I was glad to know all that would fit though. Especially since I have an iPhone so it is typically longer than most cell phones. It was really nice to carry it for once along with some identification. It gave me a sense of safety. This run was extremely hot and humid so another pro was that one of the water bottles hit me right in my lower back and felt like an ice pack during my run. I really liked that. I also have an iPod shuffle and it clipped on really easily. Now that I think about it I guess I could have used my phone for music since I was finally carrying it...I digress.
The third day was the hottest of them all! It was horribly hard to get my 5 miles in. I even got burnt. I was so pleased to have it during this run. I used the squirt bottles several times to give myself a good soak in the face and swollen hands. However, some cons did occur during this run. I was so out of energy I was having a hard time snapping the bottles in and out of the belt. In one part of my run a bottle fell off and I didn't realize it for a few paces so I had to run back and retrieve it. I also have a bruise on my hip from where I was apparently pulling a little hard. The bottles supposedly have a wide open mouth, however, ice cubes out of a standard ice cube tray don't fit.
Some additional pros:
The bottles can go horizontally or vertically. I haven't tried horizontal yet, but I have to believe that would make the belt even more comfortable. I am very happy with vertical placement though. This belt comes in sizes 1,2, and 3. Or fits all. I chose the fits all and I am so glad I did. You can tighten or loosen it quite a bit. Originally I thought I'd want it way down on my hips but I actually feel most comfortable with it at my natural waist while running. On the cool down when I am walking it seems a little awkward that my arms are brushing against it so I just loosen it up a bit and lower it. I also think this will be great if I continue to shed some pounds, which isn't likely with the way I have been eating. It will also be great for after baby #2. No I am not pregnant yet but have every hope and intention of trying after the Chicago Marathon.
So that pretty much sums up the review. I am thrilled with the product! It's not perfect but it works for me and the $28 I invested.

No comments:

Post a Comment